RSS

Pages

Promotion: Good or bad?

As Keziah is about to turn 2, I received 2 pieces of news which to many is double happiness to add on to the joy of the birth of Abel. After teaching for 5 years, I am up to next grade, 2 years after my previous promotion which also coincided with Keziah's birth then. With two, I was thinking of stepping out of the job scene for awhile and spend some good motherhood time with the children. This begins with theno pay leave which I am on for the next 3 months. My bond is also about to end, so I will be a 'free bird' by the end of the year with no liability to clear if I should decide to leave. With a promotion, somehow it makes decision making even more difficult. Furthermore, today I received another piece of news: I have been selected for the Future Leaders Programme, some new programme that came up from the talent management unit to develop and stretch potential officers. If I wasn't appreciated at my job, having a terrible time with the work that I do, not having a good pay scale, I guess I won't even hesitate at quitting the job at all and stay home. Now suddenly all the opportunities seem to come upon out of the blue. I should be thankfully, at least I am valued, then again what about the children? As much as I really want to stay home with the children, I know it's going to be tough on my hubby on a single income, not to mention spare cash to send the little ones to enrichment classes. Now I am really praying for wisdom to make the right decision: to take up the opportunities offered or just be a stay at home mom to look after the children and probably take up some tuition to supplement income?

3 comments:

iemuhs said...

Congrats Joan on your promotion. :) Actually, it depends on what you want for your children, and yourself, of course. I have friends whose wife stays at home, they have 3 kids, and they stay in a 4 room flat. And they don't have a car.... What i mean to say is, you can lower expectations on some areas, while still ensuring that your children can live happily and go for classes. It of course depends on whether you want no. 3, and if your hubby can support all of you, and whether you are willing to compromise on your standard of life... for me, what I earn is less than half of what Zhongjie get.. so being a mommy and being away at work earning that amount may not be worth it..

Joanie said...

Thanks for the encouragement. Really if my hb is earning like Zhongjie, I won't hesitate quitting once bond ends. Sadly, we are on par so there's alot of factors to think about and of coZ me being wishy washy. But one thing, kids will never be the same if they have mommy by their side during the early years and you certainly can train them the way you want them to turn out to be. Hope we can one day be SAHM catching up for coffee with the kids!

iemuhs said...

Definitely! Looking forward to the day! :)